Info About the WALK to REBUILD
How To Get Involved
Join us in person Saturday Oct 23 and help raise $40K to purchase building materials for the Indigenous Perspectives Society Radical Renovation. Or join us virtually and walk wherever you want.
There are three ways to participate:
The first 100 individuals get a one-of-a-kind hoodie on walk day at registration.
Walk Details, Challenge Times & Pop Up Activities
Date & Time: Oct 23, 6am to 6pm. See full itinerary below.
Location: Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre, 1767 Island Highway. See map below and look for the HeroWork tents by the library.
Parking: Best parking is near the library off of the Island Highway. But you can park anywhere at the Rec Centre.
Costumes and silliness welcomed!
POP UP Activities
There will be two POP UP ACTIVITY times in which you can bring out your wild side. Participate in things like obstacle courses, karaoke, nailing competitions, best costumes and more.
Every time you complete an activity, you will enter you into contest to win a range of gift certificates and unique prizes.
Each loop of the trail around Juan de Fuca Rec is 3 km (see map). Enjoy the POP UP ACTIVITIES and choose your participation type:
- Happy Feet Morning Activity Time! 9am to 11am. It's the kick off. Join us for 1 loop or challenge yourself and/or your team to see how many loops you can completed in 2 hours.
- Holy Walkamolies Activity Time! 3pm to 6pm. The closer! Join us for the final loops as we celebrate the first annual Walk to Rebuild event. How many loops can complete?
- 12-Hour Challenge 6am to 6pm. Join Trevor Botkin for the full-meal deal for a 12 hour walking marathon. Four score and seven blisters later you'll be proud you stepped up.
- Choose your distance or length and walk any time during the 12 hour window. This is our most flexible option--we just want to see you out there!
Event Day Timeline
- 6:00am - 12 Hour CHALLENGE starts (these are the crazy people)
- 8:00am - Registration Check-In opens for Happy Feet Morning
- 9:00am to 11:00am - Happy Feet Morning Walk Activity Time
- 11:30am - Prizing Ceremony for the morning
- 2:30pm - Registration Check-In opens for Holy Walkamolies
- 3:00pm - to 6:00pm Holy Walkamolies! Activity Time
- 5:40pm - Final Celebration Loop
- 6:00pm - Route Closed
- 6:15 - Prize Ceremony for Afternoon.
All donations will be matched up to $20,000 by our presenting sponsors, Westhills Developments and Verity Construction.
Every person who raises $500 or more gets a 2021 WildPlay Gift Certificates for either axe throwing or a standard adventure.
Incentives & Prizes
- Most loops: Awarded to the walker who completes the most loops during each Walk Challenge times.
- Best Costume: Awarded to the most outrageous costume.
- Team Spirit: Awarded to the team with the biggest spirit.
- Highest Individual Fundraiser: Awarded to the individual that raises the most for HeroWork and our project.
- Highest Fundraising Team: Awarded to the team that fundraises the most.
- Who Posts the Most: Awarded to who posted the most leading up to the fundraiser. Be sure to tag #WalktoRebuildVic.
Event Day Tips
- Parking: Free parking is available on site, however space may be limited. We recommend carpooling when you can.
- Bike, Walk or Transit to Juan de Fuca Rec Centre!
- Dress warmly, as it can get cold and windy! This is an all-weather run/walk
- Bring cash, as there will not be cash machines on-site
- Help us keep Juan de Fuca looking spectacular. Do your part to keep the park nice, clean & beautiful.
COVID protocols are in place and we are following the orders of the provincial health officer.
Rain or snow will not stop us from getting out and enjoying the outdoors so we can fundraise for HeroWork's Indigenous Perspectives Society project. Dress as according to the weather. There will be warming stations.
Yes, so long as they are well-behaved and kept on leash. We just ask that you start at the back of the walk for safety, and so that they don’t get in the way of fellow walkers.
Yes! We just ask that walkers with strollers start at the back of the run for safety, so that they don’t get in the way of fellow walkers.
Tickets are non-refundable as registration fees are used to help support the event costs and our fundraising efforts. If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org